10 ways to have a better conversation is a title of a lively TEDx video given by Celeste Headlee. She has worked as a radio host for decades, and she knows the ingredients of a great conversation: Honesty, brevity, clarity and a healthy amount of listening. In this insightful talk, she shares 10 useful rules for having better conversations. “Go out, talk to people, listen to people,” she says. “And, most importantly, be prepared to be amazed.”
Here are her 10 basic rules.
- Number one: Don’t multitask.
- Number two: Don’t pontificate.
- Number three: Use open-ended questions.
- Number four: Go with the flow.
- Number five: If you don’t know, say that you don’t know.
- Number six: Don’t equate your experience with theirs.
- Number seven: Try not to repeat yourself.
- Number eight: Stay out of the weeds.
- Number nine: This is not the last one, but it is the most important one. Listen.
- One more rule, number 10, and it’s this one: Be brief.